For decades, restoration, preservation and conservation of the various components of biodiversity has received considerable efforts by the evolutionary steps of one period to another. The conservation of biodiversity was given early a legislative and institutional framework to support the implementation of several planned actions. Indeed, many international conventions and protocols have been signed by Tunisia before the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CITES BONN, RAMSAR, BERNE, ...).
Stakeholders in biodiversity can be classified into three groups, as follows:
- The public sector institutions: They include:
- The administrative structures and the development and support structures that are essentially concerned with the management of the various components and biodiversity themes;
- Scientific, agronomic and higher education and scientific research institutes that are equipped laboratories and specialized research units. They are particularly concerned by the knowledge, recovery and, to some extent, by the conservation of the different components of biodiversity of different types of media at national and regional level.
- The joint institutions: These include inter-branch organizations and specialized technical centers. They are primarily concerned with the use of certain elements of agro-biodiversity at national and / or regional or local level;
- The institutions of the private sector and civil society that include:
- The professional organizations and grassroots associations such as the Agricultural Development Groups (GDA) which are primarily concerned with the use and value of some biodiversity resources (production, processing, trade, etc.)
- The basic associations of civil society that are involved particularly in raising awareness on biodiversity and to some extent in valuing and conserving some biodiversity resources locally.
In addition to these are added:
- Consultative bodies at different levels that can play a role in relation to biodiversity management. This is particularly true of the CNDD nationally and CR (Regional Council) and Regional Committee for the Fight against Desertification (CRLD) at regional and local level;
- The international and / or regional which support national institutions in the field of biodiversity.