Scientific and technical cooperation
The Convention of Biological Diversity advocates international to promote biodiversity conservation and sustainable use. It’s Article 5 dictates that: "Each Contracting Party shall, as far as possible and as appropriate, cooperate with other Contracting Parties, directly or, where appropriate, through competent international organizations, in respect of areas beyond national jurisdiction and on other matters of mutual interest, for the conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity."
The commitment of Tunisia in the implementation of the Convention was realized through the development of a strategy and a national action plan on biodiversity.
Both are of great importance for the design of projects likely to be proposed for funding from the Fund for Global Environment Facility (GEF) (www.thegef.org ) and subject to cooperation technical and scientific with regional and international partners.
Several acts of financial cooperation have taken place along the last two decades to co-finance studies, pilot projects and initiatives.
Hereinafter an indicative list of such projects:
- Capacity Building Project for the Implementation of National Biosafety Framework in Tunisia GEF / UNEP (2007 - 2014);
- Ecotourism and conservation of biodiversity desert in Tunisia GEF / WB (2014 - 2018);
- Sustainable Management of Ecosystems oasis (VIDEO) FEM / BEM (2014-2018);
- Integrated Agricultural Development Project in Siliana IFAD / GEF (Phase II);
- PGRI / Activities DGEQV: Sub-component 2.3 "Management of environmental knowledge";
- Modernization Project Strategy and National Action Plan for Biodiversity (2014 - 2016); GEF / WB