Tunisia is among the first countries to have updated their plan of action even before the adoption of the new strategic plan of the CBD in 2010 at COP 10.
This Action Plan is based on six lines that cover the various aspects of biodiversity in Tunisia, to know:
Axis of intervention n°1: preservation of the biological diversity in Tunisia
The conservation objectives for the identification of ecosystems and species and conservation management of diversity. A greater importance should be granted to the improvement of the putting with contribution of the knowledge and the traditional practices for the benefit of the preservation of the biodiversity. It is also to develop protected areas to cover the maximum of ecosystems and endangered species. These goals are to integrate those relating to the sustainable use of natural resources.
Axis of intervention n°2: integration of the preservation of the biological diversity and the management of natural resources
The objectives carry on:
- The integration and coordination of sectoral policies with implications for the management of natural resources and biodiversity;
- The rationalization of the management of sectors and industries that draw their essence from the exploitation of natural seat of biodiversity resources;
- The rationalization of access to the use of some elements of biodiversity such as the spontaneous flora, wildlife and genetic resources.
Axis of intervention n°3: management of the processes threatening the biological diversity
The objectives carry on :
- The implementation of a suitable device capable of allowing a better understanding and continuous monitoring of natural and / or man may affect biodiversity, which would in turn provide timely responses that would be required ;
- The mitigation and / or control of the most threatening processes that are known as market forces, over-exploitation of certain natural resources, invasive alien species, pollution of the natural environment, climate change, the EA etc.
Axis of intervention n°4: improvement of the management tools of the biological diversity
The implementation of many identified actions proposed in the Action Plan requires a considerable improvement in the knowledge of the national biodiversity in different types of environments.
It is therefore necessary to increase biodiversity research in ecosystems, species and genes to that of economic values.
So the research needs and improve knowledge gain from being focused on:
- The compilation and exploitation of existing knowledge;
- The improvement of existing knowledge;
- The conservation biology;
- Evaluations and quick inventories
- The long-term monitoring of biodiversity and ecological processes.
In addition, it would be important to put in place an appropriate mechanism able to ensure quick dissemination of results and their valuation in the context of current actions and future.
Axis of intervention n°5: mobilization of the partners
Interventions should target systematic :
- The individual capacity within institutional actors involved in biodiversity at all levels (decision-makers, researchers, developers, etc.);
- Non-institutional actors and their professional and interprofessional organizations;
- Basic education.
Axis of intervention n°6: institutional Strengthening for the implementation of the Plan
For effective implementation of the Action Plan, it is essential that the priorities for action are identified and an implementation schedule be established accordingly.
It is also important that the necessary organizational arrangements and institutional are established to ensure that such implementation is possible. Such arrangements will include, in particular:
- The coordination mechanisms and periodic review of the implementation of the Action Plan;
- The development of complementary strategies and / or adaptation of Related Strategies
- The mobilization of adequate financial resources.